The Extra Mile: How Schools Succeed
What good schools do:
- They have dynamic leaders, who lead from the front, set the tone and establish a ‘can do’ culture
- They shape the curriculum – to serve the needs of their intake
- They have strong systems for quality assuring the curriculum, teaching and pupil progress
- They track the progress of pupils with ardent regularity and intervene immediately if anyone falls off trajectory
- They are passionate about the quality of the classroom experience, about teaching and learning
- They are usually creative about recruitment and retention (this is particularly key for good schools serving deprived communities).