First 90 days – key ideas
The First 90 Days, Updated and Expanded
Introduction The key idea of this book is that the actions you take during your first three months in a will determine whether you succeed or fail. If you fail to build momentum during your ...
- School Focus4.0
The key idea of this book is that the actions you take during your first three months in a will determine whether you succeed or fail. If you fail to build momentum during your transition, you will face an uphill battle from that point forward.
First 90 Days in an excellent book exploring the importance of transition into a new context. Great preparation for a new leadership role.
- Transition failure happens when leaders either misunderstand the essential demands of the situation or lack the skill to adapt to them.
- There are systematic methods that leaders can use to speed transition.
- The over-riding goal in a transition is to build momentum by creating virtuous cycles that build credibility.
- Transitions are a crucible for leadership development and an indispensable development tool.
1) Promote yourself, make a mental break from your old job and prepare for new one.
2) Accelerate your learning, systems, structures, culture. Can feel like drinking from a fire hose. be systematic and focussed
3) Match strategy to situation diagnose is important for plan
4) Secure early wins – build credibility and create momentum, identify some in 1st weeks
5) Negotiate success – figure out relationship with boss – manage his expectations plan for critical conversations and agreement for plan
6) Achieve alignment architect of organisation ensure structure and strategy are aligned wit intent
7) Build team, evaluate members restructure select right people for tasks
8) Create coalitions – identify those whose support is essential for success
9) Keep your balance – personal and buisiness life
10) Expedite everyone – help everyone transition to you!
1st 90 Days – Michael Watkins (Full Summary Below)
|Date||February 18, 2018|